CheerFest 2015

Another year and another CheerFest has gone by, and as usual it was extremely exhausting for everyone.   Last year, the event organizers did a horrible job with crowd control.  Despite the fact that we were practically first in line, we weren’t given our choice of free seating.  We were basically seated wherever the ushers told us to be seated, and that was pretty random.  I wouldn’t have minded this so much if it weren’t for the fact that the people who spent much less time in line than we did, were ushered to better seats, thus aggravating those like us, who spent 2 hours or more hoping to get a good location.

This year was a bit different.  Although the organization was still a bit poor, this year it was completely free seating.  First come, first served.  For me, this was great news, because I don’t mind lining up early as long as we are guaranteed first come first served seating.  So like last year, I started lining up two hours before the doors opened, and I was FIRST in line.

After about 30 minutes of waiting, people started queuing,  and about 30 minutes after that, the line was already out into the streets.  Then the event coordinator did the unthinkable.  Instead of what was a double file line,  the event coordinators brought people from the bottom of the line and line them up next to me.  I was furious!  Do these people know what they’re doing??  At that point, I decided that I wasn’t going to have a repeat of what happen last year, and that the event coordinators will not dictate where we choose to sit.  I am going to make absolute sure that I am going to sit where I choose to sit even if it means totally bypassing and ignoring the ushers.

At precisely 12:30PM, the doors open and the crowd rushed in with us still at the front of the line.  Then the stupidity and disorganization struck again.  As we got closer to the auditorium door, the event coordinators stopped us again at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to the entrance doors.  The event organizers then announce that the cheerleaders will be rehearsing until 1PM and that we had to wait until they clear the auditorium.  If they knew that the girls were rehearsing until 1PM, then why bring the audience halfway in and have us wait another 30 minutes until they were ready??  By that time, people were getting restless and started cutting in front of others in line.  I predicted that as soon as the coordinators gave the okay sign, everyone would rush to the top of the stairs as if were a horse race, and quite possibly someone might be injured.

At 1pm, the doors to the auditorium finally opened and surprisingly we all slowly proceeded to the top of the stairs in a very controlled and orderly fashion.  When we reached the door, I noticed that there were no ushers in the auditorium randomly telling us where to sit like last year.  It was truly free seating, so I rushed to a spot where I know I could get a fairly clear view with little obstruction.  Although it wasn’t totally obstruction-free, it was good enough.

Hearties Jr. were first on the roster, so initially we thought we’d watch Haru’s team perform, and then go home.  But as the show proceeded, it got harder and harder to leave because there were so many people there, and because we thought it might be bad to yank Haru away from her cheerleading friends, who were all watching from the upper deck of the auditorium.

Fortunately, the decision to stay was a good one, because I actually won a canvas bag during the raffle at end of the show.  So overall, it was a good show.  Haru performed really well and even nailed her solo routine.



Fast Tube by Casper

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *